TerraMed was kind enough to send me their migraine glasses to review. I have uploaded my review to YouTube and Instagram! Please follow and subscribe and like!
Are you always left wondering, what should I get my “________________” who has chronic migraine? Perfumes give her migraine, scented lotions and candles give her migraine….so on and so forth. Please note that this post contains affiliate links that either provide me with a discount or a small commission. However, that being said, I wouldn’t recommend the products I didn’t love already!
Here is a list of items I don’t think any migraine sufferer would ever be unhappy with! It shows you put serious thought into your gifts!
1. An eye mask. What? Something as simple as an eye mask? Yes, one with an adjustable band and it blocks out the light! It also has an icepack that you can remove so that you can wash it. This one I got from a Therabox subscription is one of the best ones I found. It’s a cat one, but I swear the ears on the mask help it lay flatter to block more light. https://www.mytherabox.com/shop/product/966027172
A close second is this one from Amazon. It looks very similar and it feels very similar. It too has a removable icepack. I like the icepack on my eyes only when I have a migraine. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X2KSXMH/?ref=idea_lv_dp_ov_d
2. A hooded robe. I’ve found that the hood will go over my eyes and help block out light. Plus this one has pockets and is super soft. I’m really picky about my clothes being soft. This one is just right and comes in many colors. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MZ2NW3F/?ref=idea_lv_dp_ov_d
3. I’m unusual many migraine sufferers prefer ice hats. I prefer heat on my neck and ice on my eyes. This USB rechargeable scarf fills my need. I live in a cold environment and work in a cold environment. These thing relaxes my neck and warms me up. I have one at home and one at work! I LOVE it. Get it here from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS9OFPW/?ref=idea_lv_dp_ov_d
4. A magnesium spray with essential oils! Magnesium is great for muscle relaxation and the essential oils in this one are extra soothing. NEVER apply this on damp or skin that has been in recent contact with heat. Your pores open up and it can be quite stinging. It will sting a little anyway from the magnesium, but it’s worth it. Get it here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0751PX2NX/?ref=idea_lv_dp_ov_d
5. Migrastil Migraine Roll On. This wonderful blend of essential oils is comforting when you have a migraine. It’s also super portable and easier to carry around than the magnesium spray! My link is for purchasing it on Amazon, but if you haven’t purchased it from them before they have a 10% off coupon code for new purchases available at their website! https://migrastil.com/ Affiliate link here to Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BT8VCOY/?ref=idea_lv_dp_ov_d
6. Migrastil Nausea Relief Inhaler. I’m fortunate that I don’t suffer from a lot of nausea with my migraine. However, this inhaler is a nice inhaler to keep around to help when your tummy isn’t feeling good or if you like me suffer from phantom smells or Phantosmia. Migrastil also sells a nice Magnesium supplement. For some reason, I cannot take it due to the FeverFew that is in it. Feverfew helps some people with migraine, it triggers them for me. I hope one day they will come out with one that doesn’t have it!
7. Amazon Echo Dot. This has saved me on so many occasions. I can make phone calls from the bed. I can listen to spa music, audiobooks, and meditations. Since I have a GM car, I can start my car and get it warmed up or cooled down before I get to it. I can have it turn on lights, turn down the heat. It’s a lifesaver! Literally, you can have it call your emergency contact on your phone! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FZ8S74R/?ref=idea_lv_dp_ov_d
8. Amazing Grass. They have a strawberry flavor that has electrolytes AND 1 serving of greens! It put it in my big cup to make sure I keep myself hydrated!!! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0792MVNDJ/?ref=idea_lv_dp_ov_d My favorite cup! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NQPD1T4/?ref=idea_lv_dp_ov_d
9. The Total Pillow. Many of my migraines stem from neck issues. This pillow helps support my neck. It’s washable and you can use it in other spots as well. It travels well too! I have two! One for my neck and one for my arm that falls asleep every night because somehow the way I sleep puts lots of weight on it. So, I put my arm between it and my arm doesn’t fall asleep! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005BX039Y/?ref=idea_lv_dp_ov_d
10. Drink Pure Wine- Wine Wand. This little gem has allowed me to drink red wine again!!!!! It filters out the histamines and sulfites that can cause migraines. Check them out! This is an affiliate link: https://lddy.no/asx0 Use mommyhasamigraine in the coupon code section to get a discount! I will be doing a giveaway of one of these soon! Keep your eyes out!
Subscribe to my blog if you want to know about future giveaways! I plan on doing many in 2020!!!!!
Visit some of my friends!
Here is my Amazon Shop if you want to find some of my favorite products! (I make a commission on these links) Mommy Has A Migraine http://a.co/2Sde1T5
So, a few months ago, my neurologist gave me samples of this low dose NSAID medication as an abortive for my chronic migraine. She gave me the 18mg and the 35mg. I first tried the 18mg on a mild migraine. It didn’t help me at all and I had to resort to Imitrex my tried and true medicine.
I don’t like taking Imitrex. It makes me feel weird. I get a lot of the usual suspects for side effects. I’m not even sure how to explain how it makes me feel, except this: It feels like I can feel every blood vessel in my body as it narrows them. It makes my skin hurt and I don’t want to be touched. Not to mention it usually requires me taking Ibuprofen to lessen that feeling and then an antacid afterward. I also have a family history of heart problems, so I usually wait until the last possible moment and use it as a last resort. However, I’m lucky that it works for me most of the time. Then if the first dose doesn’t work, I have to take a second dose and that will put me in bed for the rest of the day. More than likely that’s where I was headed anyway.
The next time I started to get a migraine, I tried the 35mg dose. Still nothing. It didn’t touch it at all. I used up all of the samples hoping and praying that they would work and unfortunately for me, this product didn’t work.
In conclusion, I cannot recommend this product, but let me know in the comments if it worked for you!!!!
For anyone who follows my blog, you may know that wine gives me migraines. I’ve tried determining which wines did it. All red wines but as far as the white wines, that was harder to figure out. I could drink a Pinot Grigio and be fine but then another brand would give me a migraine.
I saw these listed on The Dizzy Cook’s website and decided it was worth a try. They remained in my wine cabinet for months. I was very skeptical. I’ve tried so many “migraine cures” that didn’t do anything for me. Not that this is a cure for migraine, but I take everything with a grain of salt!
So, one day after a week of having a low-grade migraine (low pain…still sucks but….) I decided well, I guess I can try this b/c I already have one let’s see if red wine makes it worse! So, I put the PureWine Wand in stirred it for three minutes. Then I put the wine up to my mouth and drank. Wow, one hour later my migraine went away (perhaps it was stressed induced and the wine relaxed me) So, I had a second glass with another wand. NO MIGRAINE. YASSSSSS!!!!!
Since then, I’ve enjoyed a few different types of wine with the wand and NO MIGRAINE! How does this amazing product work? It removes the histamines and sulfites from wine. The wand has a filter on it that filters all the stuff that can cause hangovers and for me MIGRAINE!
I highly recommend this product to anyone who has any sort of issues drinking wine! You can get them on Amazon, but you get a little more bang for your buck if you buy them directly from their website.
They contacted me after I wrote this article, shared it on Twitter and Instagram and they asked if I would like more and they sent them to me for FREE! I have since become an affiliate I receive a small commission and YOU can receive a discount!!!!! Please go to this website: https://lddy.no/asx0 and when you are checking out use the code mommyhasamigraine and you will receive 15% off!
This product works!!!!!
Recently I was contacted by Alison Wiltzius because she wanted to send me a copy of her new book, Mama Has a Migraine. At first, I was excited because I’ve tried to write reviews of migraine products, but it’s very difficult to have a company send you a product to try for free! Secondly, when I saw the name of the book and it was exactly the type of book I had written and was working on illustrations I was upset. I mean the name is almost identical. It’s hard to see when someone else has a similar idea that you did and manages to beat you to the punch and do such a great job at it too.
Mama has a Migraine is a children’s book for 4-7-year-olds. It’s beautifully illustrated and written book and quite honestly, better than what I had written! It explains chronic migraine to children in language that they understand. I read it alone and then I read it together with my 6-year-old daughter. She asked me if some of the things in the book had happened to me, such as getting an MRI and getting stomachaches. This sparked a conversation between us where she asked me questions about my migraine and what she could do to help. Now when I get a migraine, which I did for about 6-7 days last week, she was so sweet and helpful. I mean, she always was but she was more careful about being quiet, which is the one thing she has a very hard time doing!
Alison has written a very heartfelt book that I would love to give to some adults to read! Perhaps if more people read this book, more people would have empathy for the plight of us with Chronic Migraine. I highly recommend this book to anybody, but especially anybody who is a parent who suffers from migraine.
Hey guys! So, after my neurologist prescribed me Aimovig I’ve been on a journey!
Let me tell you a little history of my migraines for any newbies here. I have lived with Chronic Migraine for over 20 years. I spent 18 years of my life being told by doctors that my headaches were stress related, that certain medications and or birth control couldn’t possibly be making my headaches worse, it was sinus related and or it’s allergies. Stress was the biggest diagnoses and then I was blown off after that. I fired some many trying to figure out why I had so many headaches. I have about 3-4 headaches a week, minimum. I could still function with most of them, so I didn’t think they were migraines. Finally, I found a doctor who believed me at least about the bad ones. He told me I was having a migraine. He prescribed me Imitrex for the migraines and told me to meditate. Considering meditation wasn’t a big thing back when he told me this, that was pretty progressive. Unfortunately, he retired about 2 years after that! So, I began another search for a new doctor.
Fast forward 18 years later, and countless uphill battles, I found a trial study for a new migraine medicine. They called and interviewed me and told me I didn’t qualify for that study because what I described was chronic migraines. I was like, “What!!!!! First off, you, believe me, secondly, I’m chronic? I told my neurologist about it and she didn’t realize that all my headaches were migraines, just varying degrees of pain. Most days I can function with the pain, but I’d developed a high pain tolerance. That being said, it takes a toll on your body. Here I am 48 years old, I keep putting on weight, and by the time I get home from work, I’m exhausted from pretending to others that I was fine and pushing through the pain. My family isn’t getting me at my best, they are usually getting me at my worst. Lastly, I’m not getting enough exercise, because I’m completely depleted of energy by the end of the day.
Back in November, my neurologist prescribed me Aimovig. She filled out some paperwork so that I could get two doses/two month supply for free to try. After I took the first dose I did have less mild migraines. After the second dose, even less mild migraines. I just started making progress and feeling good again, and the insurance company then told me it would not be covered because I hadn’t tried one of three class of drugs. Insurance companies require you to try cheaper preventatives first, which include: Beta-Blockers which are primarily prescribed for blood pressure regulation, SSRI’s which are selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors that help with anxiety and depression and Anticonvulsant or Antiepileptic drugs which are used to treat Epilepsy. I had already been on several different SSRI’s over the years. My doctor chose to put me on a Beta-Blocker because they have far less worrisome side effects than the dreaded Topamax.
I was on the Beta-Blocker for a month and a half to give it a fair shot. It didn’t help, and on top of that I had a migraine for 21 days straight. I lost all the progress I had made. I called Amgen and they have an Aimovig Ally Access Card program. I was able to get a few more doses for free thanks to this program. You can get up to 1 year of free Aimovig provided it’s been prescribed to you and your insurance company has denied coverage. Then after your insurance company approves it, you have a low co-pay. I was anxious to get back on it because the longer I feel well, the more I can do! Right?
I’m happy to report that my insurance carrier FINALLY approved my Aimovig and with this discount card I currently only have to pay $5.00. This is a $500.00 a month drug!
I’m still working on getting Botox for Migraines covered. Most of this is due to the fault of the doctor’s office where I got the injections in July of 2018. They STILL have not billed my insurance for it and keep sending me a bill even though I’ve talked with them numerous times about it. If you want to see about the Botox Savings Program please follow the link. Hopefully, I can get pre-approved for Botox and see if this in conjunction with the Aimovig will help significantly reduce my migraines. I’ll keep you posted.
Subscribe to get my latest updates! I’m currently working several articles. Product reviews of Therabox, Axon’s CBD Oil, Blue Blocking Light Glasses, Float Therapy and how I plan to survive DisneyWorld with Migraines!!!
I just wanted to let some readers out there know, that if you have been diagnosed with Chronic Migraine you may qualify for a discount and or reimbursement of a deductible for Botox injections. See this website to see if you qualify! https://www.botoxchronicmigraine.com/botox-coverage-costs
So, I’m nearly 3 months into my Botox shots and I have to say that I’ve seen an improvement with my pain. I still have other migraine symptoms. However, the pain has been much less!
About 3 weeks ago my neurologist was looking at the migraine diary that I’ve been doing with a study for Amgen on Chronic Migraine. I found this out through Migraine.com. Check them out and subscribe for more information! Anyhow, she saw how many migraines I have had in the last two months and decided I was a candidate for Aimovig!
I had to fill out a bunch of paperwork at the neurologist office. They gave me a brief overview of how I would be injecting into myself. I got a letter in the mail about a week later.
So, I’m getting my first two doses for free! A few days after that I received a nice little booklet from the Amgen.
A week later I received a red sharps disposable can. I have to throw out the injectors into this sharps container, and then when it’s full send it back to the company who provided it.
On Saturday I received my first dose of medicine for free. I’ll receive my second dose for free while I’m waiting for my insurance company to pre-approve it. If my insurance doesn’t approve it, I’ve read it’s about $580.00 a dose! I read in the letter that came with my medicine that I could apply for a savings program. Which you can find here if you have been prescribed this medicine! https://www.aimovig.com/sign-up/ .
The medicine needs to be refrigerated. Last night I finally sucked it up and gave myself the injection. I *think* I did it correctly. I hope I did it correctly. I’ve watched some YouTube videos on how to do it and other people’s experience with it. I’ve read that it takes a full 24 hours before it really starts working.
I will keep you posted!
When you work, have chronic migraines and a family to feed, sometimes quick dinners are the solution to all problems. This is a comfort food dinner and it’s super easy to make and you can change it up. It also makes enough for leftovers for the next night or two!
1 4.5 Qt Pyrex Baking Dish
1 Whole Bag of 1.25 LB- Tyson frozen shredded chicken (thawed in fridge while you are at work!)
1 32 Oz can of cream of chicken soup
Cheese, lots of cheese. I use Mild Cheddar and Mozzarella.
About two bags of Stove Top Chicken Flavored Stuffing. (it depends on how much room you have left in the dish.)
1 14.5 Oz of canned carrots
1 stick of butter melted
1 can of Olive Oil Spray
Thaw the chicken in the fridge overnight or while you are at work during the day. Pre-heat the over to 350 degrees. Take the Olive Oil spray and spray the Pyrex dish on the bottom and especially the sides! Dump the thawed (and already-precooked) chicken in the dish. Dump the can of cream of chicken soup in over the chicken. Make sure it’s spread evenly with a spatula. Throw in the canned carrots and spread them around evenly as you can. Then add the cheese of your choice make sure it covers the whole dish. You can use sliced cheese as well. Then pour the stuffing mix over the top and completely cover the top of the dish. You may or may not need some of the second bag. Make sure that you try to spread the seasonings from the stuffing mix evenly over the top. The seasonings tend to settle at the bottom of the bag. After that take the melted butter and pour it evenly over the stuffing. You can always add more butter if you don’t feel it was evenly covered.
Place in the oven for about 30 minutes, until the stuffing is golden brown. If it’s starting to burn you can take it out a bit sooner. Everything was already pre-cooked!
This dish pleases even a very picky eater!
Let me know if you enjoyed it, in the comments section!!!